General Education Seminar
Global Studies and Discussion
Welcome to the Global Studies and Discussion (Blair, 2010) index page at Aichi Gakuin University.
- This seminargets students thinking about several countries: Britain, Mexico, France, Italy, China, and Russia.
- We read about each country's history in Japanese and summarize the information that interests us in basic English sentences.
- Using Wikipedia and other resources on the World Wide Web, students research more about historical figures, write up short research reports, and discuss what they found out.
- We review useful grammar from high school and junior high:
- We analyze and evaluate past student research papers to gain an understanding of the research writing process.
- We use both Japanese and English to maximize student-teacher communication. Hopefully as students become more comfortable with English they use more and more of it in class.
In addition each student chooses a single foreign country and topic for their
They write up their research papers as webpages that can be posted on the Internet and accessed throughout the world.
Starting with Draft 1 they continue to expand and improve their research paper through five separate drafts, adding a new
[Draft 1] . . .
[Draft 2] . . .
[Draft 3] . . .
[Draft 4] . . .
You can see samples and/or papers in progress by following the Draft 1-5 links above. Or you can view some of the Final Drafts from 2002-2005.
questions, comments, or suggestions
you might like to make would be greatly appreciated. This course was the topic of a presentation at JALT 2003. If you would like to know about the course in more detail or about its evolution and development please see Blair (2003).
Last updated April 2009
Copyright (C) 2002-2009 by Jeff Blair